info@langleyburrell.org
Follow Us:
Image

Upper Peckingell Farmhouse

In 1223 the Abbot of Glastonbury Abbey, evidently dissatisfied with the shortage of meadow land on his estate of Langley Fitzurse (Kington Langley), purchased 115 acres of rich pasture known as Penicroft (Peckingell) from John Burel (owner of the manor of Langley Burrell). This land was later likely to form Upper Peckingell Farm. For centuries, Peckingell was part of the parish of Kington St Michael because of its association with Glastonbury Abbey. It was only attached to Langley Burrell again in the nineteenth century.

The name Upper Peckingell Farm dates from the twentieth century. Confusingly before this date, both Upper Peckingell Farm and Lower Peckingell Farm were known as Peckingell Farm or Peckingell, a circumstance likely to have caused some confusion.

For several decades during the seventeenth century, the Essington family occupied the farm that was later to become Upper Peckingell. In the early 1680s, the widow Lucy Essington appears to have run the farm. On her death, an inventory was made of her estate and possessions. This included items in the three rooms which then made up the farmhouse. This list was taken to secure the property and allow her executors to act on her wishes. Lucy left her most expensive household items, including her bed, to her daughters. She left the bulk of her estate to her 'loving' son, William. The wheat, barley and beans stored in her barn were Lucy's most valuable assets and suggest much of her land was given over to arable production. Alongside the crops in the ground and pasture waiting to be cut for hay at the time of her death, Lucy also had a pig and several dairy cows, which she used for bacon and cheese.

The now grade II listed farmhouse comprises a seventeenth-century rear wing and a front range which dates from the nineteenth century.

 

Upper Peckingell Farm,
Peckingell

 

NGRef: ST 93578 74701
Historic England 1283416 

Nearby Points of Interest