Follow Us:

The Old Brewery

Langley Brewery at Langley Burrell was established by 1822, when it was run by a John Sheppard, although the Brewery’s origins lie further back in the eighteenth century. Sheppard was later featured in the diary of Francis Kilvert. After he died, George Frederick Giller ran the business until his retirement in 1862. At this point, the premises ‘in which an excellent trade has been carried on for many years’ included a residence and 14000 gallons of strong beer and 7000 of ale and harvest beer.

Thereafter began the long association of Langley Brewery with Henry Collett. Collett was a farmer’s son from Keevil. In 1855 he married Elizabeth Buckland, a farmer’s daughter from Kington St. Michael. After their marriage, he became a farmer of 530 acres at Lushill, but he was not destined to remain there. By 1862 Elizabeth’s father, Edwin Buckland, had set himself up as a maltster (someone who made the malt used in the brewing process). That year, Buckland purchased Langley Brewery at auction from the Rev Robert Martyn Ashe on behalf of his sons, Henry Collett’s brothers-in-law, Jacob and Edward. Buckland’s winning bid was £2,650. He paid Ashe a deposit of £265, and his sons made a further payment. The remaining £2,000 of the purchase price was to be paid to Ashe with interest at twice-yearly intervals in the form of a mortgage. However, it is likely the Bucklands’ defaulted on the debt.

Consequently, the Brewery was again for sale in 1865, when sales particulars of Langley Brewery listed an 8-quarter brewing plant worked by horse-power with and attached ‘Tap with good retail beer trade’. It is from this tap that the present named Langley Tap public house comes.

In 1866, Langley Brewery again changed hands, this time from Ashe to Henry Collett for £2,090. Henry moved to Langley Burrell and began a new life as a brewer. In June 1873, he remarried, his wife Elizabeth having died the year before. His latest spouse, Rosa Wright, was a younger cousin who had been staying with the Colletts at the time of the 1861 and 1871 censuses. Langley Brewery is likely to have been doing well as in 1874 Henry, with his brother Joseph, brought the Station Hotel in Corsham. In 1877, Henry also bought a third share in the Rose and Crown Inn, at the Market Place in Chippenham. He died in 1896 after thirty years running Langley Brewery.

In 1898 the Brewery and the Station Hotel were sold to Ralph Pearce of the Brewery, Ampthill in Bedfordshire. The Langley Brewery was closed in the early twentieth century.

The Old Brewery dates from the mid eighteenth century and is grade II listed.


The Old Brewery,
40 The Common,
Langley Burrell


NGRef: ST 93300 75191
Historic England 1199310 

Nearby Points of Interest