info@langleyburrell.org
Follow Us:

Two Monuments in churchyard

North of N Aisle St Peters

Two chest tombs, C18 and early C19, ashlar. From east:

a) Mary Coleman memorial, early C18 with two raised plaques each side and unusual rusticated angle piers. Moulded capstone and coved frieze are badly eroded. Inscription to Mary Coleman, died 1715 on south side and to Henry Simkins on north.

b) Lessiter memorial, c1800, with fluted baluster angles, moulded cornice and fluted frieze and slab sides with low-relief decoration between plaques. North inscription to Ann Lessiter died 1821.

John Eddolls Monument

Chest tomb, mid C18, ashlar with two shield plaques each side, moulded base and cornice with pulvinated frieze broken forward over fielded centre and angle piers. Inscription to John Eddolls.

Three Eddolls Monuments

Three chest tombs in line, C17 to mid C18, ashlar. From north:

A) E.B. Eddolls monument, mid to later C18, with moulded base and cornice, pulvinated frieze broken forward over fielded centre and angle piers and two shield plaques each side. Shield end plaques. Inscription to Edward Baker Eddolls, died 1771.

B) Mary and Edward Eddolls monument, early to mid C18 with moulded base and cornice, pulvinated frieze broken forward over fielded centre and angle piers and two circular plaques each side. Oval end plaques. Inscriptions to Mary (died 1724) and Edward (died 1742) Eddolls. c) Edward Eddolles monument monument, late C17, with moulded capstone and two sunk panels each side and one each end. Inscription to Edward Eddolles, died 1687

Buy Monument

William Buy, one of the principal farmers of Langley Burrell, died intestate, without a will, in 1738. After his death, his widow, Anne, relinquished all her rights in his estate to allow their son, also called William, to inherit his father’s property without encumbrance.

The grade II listed Buy monument raised on William senior’s death has two shield plaques, two fluted angle piers, and a floral-decorated pier in the centre. On the west side of the tomb is a plaque in the shape of a shield, and on the east, a cartouche inscribed Memento Mori- remember that you [have to] die- a reminder of the inevitability of death. The inscription, perhaps, is an acknowledgement of William’s sudden demise. Twenty-five years later, Anne Buy was laid to rest and memorialised alongside her husband..

Their son, William married Anne Wayte of Eastcott, Swindon, in 1740 at St Mary’s Church, Rodbourne Cheney. A family called Wayte are also listed in parish registers at Langley Burrell during the period, so likely his wife had relatives in the village. After their marriage, they moved to Langley Burrell. On 28 January 1741, their first child, another William, was baptised. Tragically, three days later, he was buried; the burial location is not recorded. They had more children: - a son, also William, baptised in 1742, Richard in 1744, and a daughter, Anne, christened in 1746.

After his mother’s passing in 1763, William’s family lived for several decades in the village, but by the 1790s, if not before, had sold some property to the Ashe family, lords of the manor of Langley Burrell. The property included a malthouse where grain was converted to malt and they may have had an association with property that was to become Langley Brewery. By the early nineteenth century, the Buy family were no longer local farmers. Today, the Grade II listed Buy monument remains possibly the only lasting legacy of the family in the village.

Four Monuments

Four chest tombs, C18, ashlar. Two to west:

A) Unidentified double chest tomb, mid C18, ashlar with two raised circular plaques to north and south and single large oval plaque to east and west. Scroll decorated angle piers and centre piers to north and south. Moulded base and capstone, broken forward over piers.

B) Unidentified monument, mid C18 with moulded base and cornice with fluted frieze broken forward over flush centre and angle piers with incised fluting. Two panels each side with incised borders.

Two to east:

C) John Wilkins monument, mid C18, moulded base and cornice with pulvinated frieze, fielded panelled piers and two circular plaques each side. Round-headed end plaques. Inscription to John Wilkins Senior, died 1824.

D) John and Mercy Wilkins

Group of five monuments

West and SW Porch

These chest tombs date from the eighteenth-century and commemorate several prominent local families.

The northeast most of these is dedicated to the Wastfield family. The finely detailed monument has large scroll-bordered north plaques, a rectangular south plaque also with scrolls and west end cartouche and east end shield plaque. The Wastfields were primarily yeoman farmers. Their association with Langley Burrell dates from at least the sixteenth century.

Generations served as trustees of Maud's Heath Causeway from 1526 until 1688. In 1545, of the four taxpayers in the parish one was the rector and two were from the family.Through the centuries, they appeared as churchwardens. However, their association with the Church of England was not always the closest.

In 1745, a Charles Wastfield was credited as being the chief builder of a new protestant non-conformist chapel in nearby East Tytherton. Earlier, in 1707, one Robert Wastfield registered his home in the parish as a non-conformist meeting house. It is difficult to know with any certainty whether this was the Robert Wastfield (d.1741) commemorated by the plaque on the northern side of this memorial. Robert lived on Jacksomes Lane and was the last family member named Wastfield to be buried in the church yard. He died unmarried and without children, leaving his estate to Robert Hulbert of Chippenham and to an unmarried woman, Elizabeth Eddolls, on the proviso she remained unwed. Thereafter, the family of Wastfield disappear from the history of the village.

Two Monuments

4 and 9 metes south of Chancel of Church

Two chest tombs, C18, ashlar. From north:

A) 4m south of the chancel. Knight monument, mid C18, moulded base and cornice with pulvinated frieze broken forward over scroll-decorated centre and angle piers. Two shield plaques each side, shield plaque to east end, lozenge to west. Inscription to Alice Knight died 177-.

B) 9m south of chancel, unidentified monument, earlier C18, moulded base and cornice, pulvinated frieze broken forward over fielded centre and angle piers and two arched-headed plaques each side with imposts and pendant keystones to arches. Similar end plaques.

 

Church of St Peter,
Swindon Road,
Langley Burrell

 

NGRef: ST 92767 75794
Historic England 1199423 

Nearby Points of Interest