info@langleyburrell.org
Follow Us:
Image

St Giles Church

The original chapel of St Giles, Kellaways, was constructed as a private or chantry chapel by the Keylways family and built by 1304. Later it became the parish church of Tytherton Kellaways (or Kellaways after 1895), and for centuries the choice of who should be the rector was with the owner of the local estate. In the seventeenth century, local people tried and failed to unite Tytherton Kellaways with Tytherton Lucas to form one parish and for St Nicholas, Tytherton Lucas to be their parish church.

The rector of St Giles was generally poorly paid, one reason why the incumbent often had many other parishes to look after. During the eighteenth century, the government provided grants of money for investments to allow the rector of Tytherton Kellaways to be better rewarded. However, for whatever reason, most of the money had no material effect on his income.

The old church of St Giles had a simple design and comprised a nave of 31 ft by 21 with a single doorway and two windows. Originally adjacent to Kellaways Mill, and possibly owing to its proximity, the church was often infested with vermin and prone to flooding, rendering it damp and 'dangerous to the health of parishioners to attend.' It was in such a dilapidated state in 1754 (and 1786) that it was recorded as having been destroyed. In 1803, William Boucher wrote, 'Kellaways church in its present state is more like a hovel than anything else.'

The same year efforts began to construct a new church on the opposite side of the road in a more commodious position. The new edifice was funded by donations and built to the same size as the former church. It was finished by February 1805, although it was not consecrated until 1808. The old structure was taken down, and the materials were used to create a wall around the new churchyard.

The church has altered little since. It comprises a furnished nave of 3 bays with pointed windows. The pointed west door has an ogee-headed surround, and the edifice has an octagonal wooden bell-cote.

 

St Giles Church,
Maud Heath's Causeway,
Kellaways

 

NGRef: ST 94834 75756
Historic England 1022353 

Nearby Points of Interest