info@langleyburrell.org
Follow Us:
Image

Langley Green House

From its formal three-storey, three-bayed front, Langley Green House looks like an elegant Georgian house. Its origins, however, date from the fifteenth century when it was built as a single-storey timber-framed cruck house. This was formed of three rooms with a cross-passage dividing the central open hall from the service area (a pantry and buttery) on the north west. A sleeping chamber occupied the room to the south east. The house has become associated with Maud Heath, who in 1474 left property in trust for the causeway that runs through the parish to this day. While no evidence links Maud Heath definitively to Langley Green House, it is interesting to note that the Wastfield family, who likely occupied the house and farmed the adjoining land from 1592 and possibly before, were trustees of Maud Heath's legacy from 1526 until 1688. The Wastfields were one of the most prominent families in the parish, owning land in their own right rather than tenants of the lord of the manor.

In the early 1840s, the house was tenanted by John Matthews, the curate of Langley Burrell. Later, when Francis Kilvert was the local curate, he was a sometime visitor of the then occupier, William Bryan Wood.

 

Langley Green House,
The Common,
Langley Burrell

 

NGRef: ST 93517 75135
Historic England 1363832 

Nearby Points of Interest