info@langleyburrell.org
Follow Us:
Image

Common Farmhouse

The grade II listed stone farmhouse with stone slate roof has a plaque that reads 'CAL WH 1636'. Although dating from the seventeenth century, the house was altered during the eighteenth century, including by the addition of a projecting range. In the 1870s, the Knight family lived at Common Farm. The diarist Francis Kilvert was a regular visitor at the farm, run by Harriet Knight, with her family, calling to enjoy a glass of whey from their dairy. Kilvert recalled grandmother had done the same. The Knights were on friendly terms with the Kilverts, despite the Knights' white pigs, straying into the parsonage grounds to eat acorns. Jacob Knight was a churchwarden and helped out with haymaking at the parsonage meadows. In 1881, he was still running the 126-acre farm, which employed 4 labourers with his mother, then well into her 70s.

 

Common Farm, The Common
Langley Burrell

 

NGRef: ST 93021 75195
Historic England 1199298 

Nearby Points of Interest