info@langleyburrell.org
Follow Us:
Image

32 to 35 The Common

32-35 The Common was originally a group of five (later four) cottages. In 1842, four were estate cottages occupied by agricultural labourers working on the Langley Burrell estate of the Ashe family. The fifth was owned by John Sheppard of Langley Brewery and tenanted by a shoemaker. The shoemaker, David Tibble (Tippels), occupied a cottage east of the range with his wife, four children and a lodger, an agricultural labourer, William Bond. Tibble had a narrow strip of garden in front. His neighbours, Henry Martin, John Thompson (or Thomson), John Jefferies and Jonathan Sevin (or Savin), their families and lodgers occupied the rest of the accommodation and the grounds to the front and back. It is clear that some of the cottages were overcrowded. In 1841, in John Thompson's house lived six adults (including three lodgers, all agricultural labourers), two youths of 16-17 and one child.

The outside space of the estate cottages was shared amongst the households, and front gardens were used as allotments to grow produce. The larger garden area to the rear and sides were designated a shared plot. The 1840s were a time of high food prices and low wages, and, likely, this was also used to grow food. These gardens included a well, and residents probably enjoyed a communal privy.

The now three cottages were built between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries and remodelled during the nineteenth century. They are now grade II listed. Numbers 32-34 have a brick west stack, ridge stack and 3-gabled front.

 

32 to 35 The Common,
Langley Burrell

 

NGRef: ST 93279 75284
Historic England 1363831 

Nearby Points of Interest